Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Time To Plan Your 2014 Garden!

It may still feel like winter all too often around here, but the days are getting longer, the sun is getting brighter, and spring "officially" starts this week! So what are you growing this year?

It's time to get planning - and in some areas - planting! Starting seeds indoors can be a great way to kickstart your garden in colder climates. Typically you want to start seeds about 6 weeks before planting out, which means mid-to-late March here in Ohio. Now is the time!

Growing radish plants
Growing radish plants (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Garden plants which typically do well when started indoors include tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, lettuce, and some flowers. Things you will want to wait and direct-seed when it warms up a bit include peas, beans, and corn. Things that you may be able to direct-seed outdoors right now or within the next couple of weeks (depending on your location) are potatoes, radishes, and some lettuces or salad greens.

I, myself, am in a bit of a quandary this year, as my fiance and I are planning on moving to a new house in the summer, so I don't want to start a big garden and have to leave it behind! By the time we move, it may be too late to start much of a garden at the new place, and I'm not sure I can make it through the summer without ANY gardening!  So I will likely have to grow some short, cool-weather crops this spring, and make do with that. I have been over-ambitious and purchased tons of seeds (hoping to be in the new house by garden season), but I do have radish seeds, salad mix, and some flowers that I can probably plant here in the next few weeks. Radishes are a springtime favorite of mine, and I'm not sure why I don't grow them that often! They are amazing in salads, and add a zesty crunch to sandwiches. I know you can also pickle them, but I've never tried that.... Perhaps if I get a big crop....

It's 50 degrees today, and my green thumb is itching! What about you?

Spring Gardening/Seed Starting Supplies:
     
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment