Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Community Garden Right in My Backyard!

This week I had a very exciting surprise....I came home a little early from work, and decided to take a walk - which I haven't done since I don't know when. Across the street is a small elementary school, and one of my favorite walk circuits takes me around the block and behind the school. It's a nice walk through a nice neighborhood, and takes about 15 minutes, so it's one of my old favorites.

Community gardens often have several horticult...Image via WikipediaThis time, as I came up behind the school, through the trees I noticed some people in a garden, but as I drew closer, I realized it was actually on the school grounds.  I stopped in amazement (guess it has been longer than I thought since I took a walk!) and then I just had to go over for a closer look.

As it turns out, it is actually a community garden, started by the school's third graders last year - this is the first full summer of production.

It is a very small garden, but absolutely beautiful! The raised beds are lined with beautiful tiles painted by the children, and the entire garden is encircled by a border of lushly blooming marigolds (to keep out rabbits and insects). I spoke to the woman who was watering - Tish was her name - she is a volunteer and it was her week to water. Her 4th grade son was there helping her (he helped start the garden last year).

As I was there, a young woman who spoke little English came up with her 3 little girls, and we loaded them up with vegetables. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, green beans, Swiss Chard, broccoli - all kinds of goodies.

Fresh Swiss chardImage via WikipediaTish was very excited to see the community using the community garden, and she said many times they just donate food to a local food pantry - she said this small garden has donated almost 100 pounds of food so far this year.

I thought it was so awesome and amazing to see such an initiative - especially at such a small school. This such a great idea, and I think every school in the country should have a garden like this! The kids get a closer connection with the world and where their food comes from (and probably become more adventurous and healthier eaters because of it), the school could benefit by producing some of it's own food, or even like this one - serving the local community and providing healthy fresh, organic food (this garden is run by organic principles, and they are even planning on installing rain barrels to make the garden more self-sustaining) to those who need it most.

Sorry I didn't take a picture, so the one above is just an example, and not of this particular garden, but I will try to remember to take one on my next walk (which will be soon!).
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment