Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Spring Is Here! So Are the Squirrels...

I think we can safely say that spring has finally arrived! My garden is as happy as I am about this fact, and things are growing well. Flowers are popping up everywhere, and my little salad bed is doing well under the netting I applied to ward off the squirrels (thanks Mom - for the great idea!) - growing slowly since the soil is still cool, but it should take off here soon, as we are getting more and more warm days.

As you may know, I face a nearly constant battle with the squirrels, who love to dig up absolutely everything I plant - for no apparent reason other than - I am convinced - to drive me crazy! I have tried so many different things, from human hair (ick - I know, but desperate times...), to pepper, bloodmeal (an organic fertilizer), and cinnamon. The cinnamon and bloodmeal seem to work fairly well, but they don't last long - a few days in the sun, or a short rain, and you have to reapply. And in a freshly prepared bed, even that doesn't keep them away entirely.

My mother recently suggested placing squirrel netting over hoops to keep them out, and since I only have one garden bed this year, I figured it was worth a shot. Two weeks later, not a single intruder has disturbed my little radishes and lettuce, so it's working well so far! Since I will probably be moving this summer, hopefully my new garden spot will be less plagued by these little furry beasts....

Meanwhile, tulips and strawberries are growing like crazy, and so lovely! I will share more photos soon....

What are you into in the garden this year? Feel free to share below!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment