Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring CSA Update

Well, I've got about a month left in my Winter veggie CSA, so just thought I'd post an update. Although I am mightily tired of turnips right now, it has definitely been my best winter ever, food-wise, and I don't think I'll ever return to grocery store vegetables (other than while in between CSAs - a just-right span of about 6 weeks). Having fresh salads, greens, and other yummy organic locally grown food all winter was often the only bright spot in each long, cold, wintery week. It felt like it just gave a little taste of spring in each reusable bag.... (Below is a picture of my share from a month or so ago. It's a bit hard to see through the bags, but contents included kale, turnips, carrots, shitake mushrooms, spinach, salad mix, and sunflower sprouts. Not bad for February in Ohio!)

Winter CSA contents.
I am definitely looking forward to the variety of summer, however! As awesome as fresh salad greens are, I am really excited for green beans, tomatoes, corn, and all the other summer fare. Don't get me wrong, they do have a nice variety (and decent quantity) during the winter, but shitake mushrooms, spinach, and turnips can eventually get a little repetitive. Luckily lately we've been blessed with some different types of greens (kale, Swiss chard, collards, etc.), and I think there are some other fun things coming soon as well. But it's nice to know that summer is on its way!

In the meantime, if you're like me, in need of some new recipes for your CSA goodies, be sure to check out our Cooking From Scratch blog for recipes I post that frequently include CSA ingredients. (I just posted one yesterday for a Shitake Mushroom & Spinach Pizza that was amazing!)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment